Tuesday 13 March 2012

Problems with choosing a theory

Welcome to my blog.  As the title says, this space is meant to help me with my thoughts on my postgraduate studies, which are coincidentally based on my work as a consultant.  In my professional work I do a lot of drafting before I can post anything, but here I shall be posting my thoughts 'unaldulturated'.  Your input is meant to help me refine these thoughts.

A bit of background:  I am enrolled for a Masters in ICTs in Education.  My area of interest is on the use of social networks in the writing centres to mediate the challenges of accessibility as well as to provide anytime, anywhere support to.

What I wish to investigate is whether students' social presence awareness of writing consultants in a social network such as Facebook affects their writing self efficacy beliefs.
.
My challenge is grounding the study on to a sound and most appropriate theory.  The most popular theory in writing centre work is social construction.  However, most studies on self efficacy awareness are grounded on Bandura's Socio-Cognitive Theory.  And then there is Lave and Wenger's Community of Practice.  How do I get to select the most appropriate theory?

No comments:

Post a Comment